Saturday, November 28, 2009

Want to be a music teacher?

Ok, so I've kind of figured out I want to be a music teacher. I play trumpet (which I am alright at) and drums (my real passion, but I realize they won't get me into college), harmonica (for fun), and a little singing. I've recently taken up guitar to start building my knowledge of music theory. Any of you people out there who are music teachers already might be able to help me out. What should I be doing now (in high school) if i want to get into a college's music program? What will the application process be like (I know there are auditions involved...)? Will I have to have an incredible proficiency on my trumpet to have it be my "primary instrument", as many colleges refer to it? Are most schools very selective about who they accept into music programs?



Want to be a music teacher?

-(Myspace music www.myspace.com)



I would question why not the drums if they are your passion. Being a percussionist will give you a strong theory base and teach you all the other instruments like Timpani etc. I would also strongly suggest you play as many instruments as you can before becoming a music teacher. One never knows what type of music program you will be teaching. I am a violinist and have taught gerneral music my whole career! talk with you teacher at school and think about doing both trumpet and percussion. Then select a few colleges and look at the programs they offer ( like I said don't discount your drums!)



Good Luck



Want to be a music teacher?

-(Myspace.com graphics myspace.com)



Talk to the teacher you have for music now. You may also contact the University you wish to attend and ask for literature about their music programs and how they may help you attain your goal. Good luck to you, keep playing, one of those instruments will come alive in your hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
commericial loan