Thursday, December 3, 2009

Can I get a music minor even though I don't know how to play an instrument?

I have been making music for 10 years. My instrument is my computer. I make hip hop beats. I don't know how to play an instrument very well. I want a music minor to know the theory/ear training behind music. Do colleges require you to know how to play an instrument or be involved in a music organization (i.e. jazz band) to receive a minor? If this is so, I feel that it is discrimination toward those who are just getting into music. Your input would be much appreciated. Thanks.



Can I get a music minor even though I don't know how to play an instrument?

-(Myspace music www.myspace.com)



You don't need to play to take some of the classes. But I'm guessing a minor will likely require you to take a class that involves playing an instrument. It's no different than my engineering degree requiring a technical writing class. It's what an accreditation group requires for a "well rounded" knowledge of a subject.



Just for the record, you are a composer, not a musician. A composer writes music (what you do). A musician creates the music (your computer creates the music - you just tell it what to do).



That's different than learning how to get different kinds of tone depending on the way you physically use an instrument to generate variations in sound. You actually have to physically perform to be a musician.



That's not a knock on you. Being a composer is pretty cool, too.



Can I get a music minor even though I don't know how to play an instrument?

-(Myspace.com graphics myspace.com)



I think it's possible. If you think about common sense, well. If you can't play an instrument, you could still learn or know how to read the notes/sheet music and know the history of music and the various composers. If you are set on a certain university/college, give them a call, ask the counselor/administrator questions.
Wow, that's awesome! I'm a music major at my university, and I think it would really depend on the college whether they allowed a minor who doesn't sing or play a traditional instrument. A lot of music departments are small, however, and open to innovation! If you haven't chosen a college yet, you might want to set up a meeting with one of the music professors at each school to talk about the possibility of getting a music minor with your computer as an instrument. And just be aware that music theory classes require you to learn at least the basics of both voice and piano - but it's fun!



Good luck!!!
I think some schools would be open to this and others might not if their music department is competitive with an audition review to get into it. But music theory classes, music history, music appreciation, etc. probably would not require knowing an instrument. Understanding the history of music and ethnic or special types of music (world music, history of jazz, etc.) could be great for expanding your abilities.



However, learning an instrument could give you new ideas about your computer-generated beats too. Maybe there is a drum circle on campus that you could join--they often welcome beginners. Or maybe you could take some lessons (voice or an instrument) because alot of music departments offer lessons for both majors and non majors.



There are also electronic music and composition courses in many music departments, so you might check at your school--if so, try to talk to the professor in that area and he or she might have suggestions for you too.



There are lots of possibilities!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
commericial loan