Tuesday, December 29, 2009

HAHA. Classical music is NOT over...YEA I see. Then what do you call this?

Music? WOW. This musician is just fascinating. John Cage was a true genius. I was astonished when i heard this piece of music. YEA. Classical music still continues.



http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=q865x7K_QP...



%26lt;was being sarcastic%26gt;



the immense amount of creativity in that piece truly fascinated me. How about you?



Why do some people struggle to be modern and philosophical? Is this even music? WHAT IS THIS?



Aren't you tired? I unequivocally agree with you, Malcom.



Please don't call me narrowminded. This is horrifying. This is completely preposterous.



HAHA. Classical music is NOT over...YEA I see. Then what do you call this?

-(Myspace music www.myspace.com)



Previously, when I have waxed philosophical about the state of classical music from the end of WWII to present, I have intimated that Cage represents the final devolution of music from aesthetic beauty to well... noise. Having viewed your link, I can't say that it did much to change my mind, and it is a mind that is ready and willing to be educated, enlightened - inspired even. Schoenbergs obscure and atonal structures pushed the envelope as far as it could go, but there is a fine line - up in these lofty realms between music and cacophany. As you can hear, in the piece in the link, that line was clearly crossed.



Creating something that is unique for the purpose of its uniqueness is not art. Were that the case we could all be artists (n.b. I do not count myself amongst that doubty group).



I would love to weigh in with some erudite and piquantly witty critique, but the pretention of intellectualism escapes me. Does this piece have any significance - well if you subscribe to the opinion that serious music has gone into hibernation then yes... it signifies the beginning of a long and cold winter. Beethoven, Chopin, Brahms and I will see you in the spring.



Edit: Hey, I thought I was the curmudgeon on this forum! There is not need for despair Al... there is plenty of room in the curmudgeon's cave - I'll get Ludwig to move over a bit. We'll wait out the winter until beauty flies north again. In the meantime there's plenty of fabulous stuff for a young man of your calibre to invest his energy in. I suggest a heavy dose of Scriabin, with a side of Brahms.



Edit#2: I think I understand what Delicious is saying, but as an appreciator of Schoenbergs music, I don't consider myself someone who is reticent to leave my comfort zone. Cage's stuff is simply "unmusical" composed mainly of sonic gimmickry. You could obtain a similar effect by taking the piano and tossing it down a flight of stairs. If you want a musical commentary of the War, try Prokofiev's fifth and sixth symphonies.



HAHA. Classical music is NOT over...YEA I see. Then what do you call this?

-(Myspace.com graphics myspace.com)



I played John Cage's piece for twelve radios when I was in college. Personally, I thought it was boring.
ughh. that song was horrible and annoying. yeah sure they wanted to represent the holocaust from it, but they could have made it more musical. not just hitting nasty notes over and over.
Pure rubbish....you may as well listen to techno or rap.
Look at all the narrow-minded, closed-eared reactionaries coming out of the woodwork! I grant you this isn't any easy two-minute listen but, given its subject matter, did you expect nice cozy tunes and sweet harmonies? It's all the more remarkable when you consider it was written in 1942, when the atrocities of the holocaust were being pretty effectively covered up by the Nazis and their allies.



John Cage isn't for everyone, it's true, but it's a little rich insulting it like that. Music is about communication. I bet that piece of music stirred SOMETHING within you. You might not have enjoyed the experience but not all music is about sweetness and light and all things fluffy and relaxing.



This is what makes me despair in this forum - people being too lazy to take the trouble of listening outside their armchair zone. Go listen to your Moonlight Sonatas and Pachelbel Canons if you can't take a bit of tough stuff.
ok you curmudgeons united ... there are classical composers out there and still alive and writing... Jake Heggie, Ned Rorem, even Andre Previn goes truly classical at time ...of course you can't like everything they have written (some of it stinks, some is good) but they are writing what you call a dead art form and getting performed and recorded



EDIT John Cage's son thought his "music" "s***ked" so who are we to disagree with hs family
I can testify that classical composers are alive and well, and much in demand. I work with two of them. There is so much work to do, if only I didn't have to sleep.
YAWWNNN!!



Quite honestly, you need to get over yourself.



I just don't understand what's the bloody big deal. So you don't dig John Cage, then don't listen to it. Just because you don't like bleu cheese doesn't mean that every bleu cheese factory has to be shut down.



Composers will write whatever music they are inspired to write, whether you have high or low regards for their pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
commericial loan